It’s crazy to me that there is only one week left in the
semester. I have learned and grown so much as I have focused on the skills
necessary to be a successful entrepreneur. This week was probably one of my
favorites because it showed the importance of failing forward. In business and
in life we all make mistakes, we all have disappointments and at times we all
fail. This week we focused on learning from those mistakes, and failures and
getting back up with every blow. Some of the most respected and successful people
face many failures and disappointments on the road to success. The biggest
difference is they learned from those failures and disappointments, got up and persisted
on. This week I learned a lot more about Walt Disney. When he was young he was
fired from a newspaper in Kansas City because they said he lacked imagination.
He then started his own cartoon production company but ended up going bankrupt.
He moved to California and started another animation company, where he created
a cartoon character for Universal by the name of Oswald the Rabbit. Due to the contract
Walt Disney signed he soon found out he didn’t own the rights to the cartoon he
had created. Universal hired his animators out from under him and continued the
cartoon without him. It was on the train ride home after learning he had
basically lost his company that he created Mickey Mouse. He faced many more blows throughout his life
but he never gave up, he kept pushing forward. Many other people faced similar
challenges. Michael Jordan was cut from his High School Basketball team and was
told he would never be good at basketball; J.K. Rawlings was rejected by many
publishers before she found one willing to publish the Harry Potter series. The
one thing in common is that they didn’t give up and they learned so much along
the way.
Failure has such a negative connotation in our society and
people have become to see failure as a horrible thing rather than a learning experience.
The one thing I really learned is that failure is not bad if you are able to
learn and grow from it. I have thought back on mistakes and failures my dad and
I have had with our company. Instead of seeing it as an opportunity to learn
and grow I wrote it off as someone else’s fault. This is a common reaction but
it stunts growth and keeps me from reaching my full potential. As I thought
about failure I thought about the plan of salvation. We were sent her by God to
make mistakes face disappointment and fail. That was part of his plan for us to
learn and grow. Failure is such an important part of growth and if we don’t
view it that way we don’t take full advantage of the opportunity to learn. This
is something I needed to hear and hopefully I will be able to use these things
to be a more successful business man in the future.
No comments:
Post a Comment