Saturday, March 5, 2016

Lesson 8

This week we learned about hiring and firing. We learned more about the much known business quote “hire slowly, fire quickly”. Hiring should be done very carefully and methodically. The person you are hiring is a representative of your company. I really like the approach that Jet Blue took to finding high quality employees and making sure they stuck around. The first step was defining the values that guide the company. By defining the companies values you are able to hire people whose values align with those of the company. The second thing I thought was really interesting was that they customized benefit packages for each different position category. They knew that flight attendants tend to be at a more transitional point in their lives and are not long term employees because of this they offered them other benefits rather than retirement because that is something that would be less beneficial to them. This is a really interesting approach because it allows them the flexibility to give their employees what they really want. Jet Blue understands that by putting employee happiness first they will deliver better service to the customers. The flip side to hiring is firing. If someone is not working out and you have done all you can to help them, you need to let them go. This is something that can be very difficult but it is something that is very necessary. Overall I found this week very interesting and very informative.


As far as my hundred-dollar project goes, everything is going pretty well. I had a few more sales this week and I am getting closer to my goal. I talked with a family member who does website optimization and she gave me so great insight on my website and how to improve it. This project has been much harder than I expected it to be. I have done a lot more networking and marketing this week by handing out business cards and talking to people about my business and this really seems to be helping. It is forcing me to step outside of my comfort zone but it has been a great experience for me. I am just plugging away and trying to drum up more sales. I am starting to get nervous that I want reach the $100 profit but I am still hopeful that it will happen    

No comments:

Post a Comment